Wednesday, October 30, 2013

How to be a Gentleman

It occurred to me the other day that so very few people talk to young boys about how we are meant to grow into men.  It sure as hell happened to me.  I was left to my own devices.  Outside of the occasional chastity talk given at youth conferences, no one really ever sat me down and said "Bobby.  You're becoming a bit of a brat.  You need to know how to be a man."  This made my growth journey take longer than it should have.  It kinda sucks too.

Now I need to give credit where credit is due.  It wasn't that no one ever tried.  My dad made a point to talk to me regularly about things like personal responsibility.  Hell.  He still does.  "Bobby, you need to make some major decisions about your future." My uncle also was regularly there to give me the advice that my dad didn't.  "Bobby.  Do something you'd love.  A college degree isn't a permit to print a paycheck.  Also, Rock on!  There's a Foreigner concert coming up."  Hell, I even had a few teachers telling me I needed to be a bit more mature, not exactly always in a charitable way.

I'm the adorable one.....Also.....the boy.  (PS my sisters are gonna kill me for this picture.)

But no one ever really tried to teach me how to respect women.  I primarily got my education on the subjects of human sexuality from a combination of the media, my fellow pubescent friends, and a public school sexual education.  Needless to say, these weren't exactly the best places to learn how to be a man.  Thus, I write this.  Maybe my ramblings will help a few young boys grow up into real gentlemen.  We got the Manliness part down pat, but we forgot the gentle part.

I am thoroughly convinced this is the most absolute Badass picture of me that exists...anywhere.  (MANLY)

And this is "Huncle Bawb" (gentle)

There was a show a year or so ago that I thought was interesting.  It was called "How to be a Gentleman".  The premise was that archetypal Odd Couple setup.  An overly sensitive man writes an article about being a gentleman.  Things like always dressing up, going to the theatre, and world class dining.  Well, he moves in with an old high school bully.  The bully is a slob, and bit of a punk.  But also knows about things like courage, working out(he owns a gym), and sports.  The two agree to move in together to help each other develop into both being gentlemen.  Individually, they both amount to boys, but the show suggests that when working together they develop the gentleman qualities such as protection, respecting women, class, ambition, relaxation, etc.  Also sports (read: Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and BC Football/Hockey).

Uehara literally just pitched the World Series winning strike

This is exactly what the world needs.  More men teaching boys that being a man is not an either/or thing but a both/and thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment